Tuesday 1 November 2011

Last Exit to Brooklyn

1989, 98 minutes, USA


Last Exit to Brooklyn is a film based in 1950s Brooklyn and tells the story of drug addicts, radical corrupt unionists, transvestites and prostitutes. This film acts as a closing feature of 1980s American cinema, which your standard 1980s actors such as Ricki Lake, Stephen Baldwin and Alexis Arquette. Despite its period setting, it has all the feelings of your typical 80's film.

Did I actually like it? Yes and No. I thought there were some fantastic performances that really carried the film. The most notable one being Jenifer-Jason Leigh. Her character, Tralala, is a fantastic peroxide blond prostitute who uses her sexuality to help the gang rob and steal. It is not until she meets a sailor who is heading for Korea that you see a different side to her. Leigh plays the versatility well and should be recognised for her role. Other decent performances include Stephen Lang as the sexually confused but corrupt Trade Unionist. A special mention should also go to Arquette for the fabulous transvestite role of Georgetta.

Despite decent performances, I was not taken by the story. I found it difficult to follow in parts and towards the end I got bored. I have spent the last couple of days trying to work out what I can say about this film but I have really struggled. I suppose I have a dislike for 1980s US films and this is another one I have not enjoyed.


2.5/5 - Fine performances but not keen on the story

No comments:

Post a Comment