Thursday 27 October 2011

The Lion in Winter

1968, 129 minutes, UK


I am starting a journey into pre-1980s cinema. I have seen a few titles but nothing in comparison to the number I have seen made in the last three decades. The Lion in Winter was perhaps my first 'older' movie that was a historical film. It depicts King Henry II (Peter O'Toole) and his estranged wife Eleanor (Katherine Hepburn) fighting to convince King Philip II of France who should be the next King. Richard (played by Sir Anthony Hopkins in his first cinematic role), the brave and characteristic son which is the preference of Eleanor , while John, the idiotic and simple son, is favoured by Henry. As the film progress, we see how dysfunctional the family really are and how power corrupts.

Now, I do have a natural tendency to favour films set in the present because usually there is something I can relate to. However, I did enjoy this period piece. It was surprising how well it presented the difficulties of relationships and family. It had an interesting modern story hidden amongst the historical setting. Maybe I am just showing my lack of familiarity with the genre, but there were certainly moments I could associate with - like the idea of betrayal and how easy power can corrupt. This film goes further than just trying to relive the past.


There were certainly a number of great and memorable scenes which told the story well and kept me entertained. The most obvious one for me is when it is exposed that Richard had had relations with King Philip. This was the turning point in reducing Richard's prospects of being the next King. For a debut performance, Anthony Hopkins is great and actually looks a lot older then I imagined him to be at this time.

However, it was Katherine Hepburn that stole the show. Her portrayal of the manipulative and slightly mad Eleanor was formidable. She certainly deserved that Best Actress Oscar! Considering the only other film I have seen of hers was Bringing up Baby which I was not really impressed by. Her voice just made it. Lines such as 'Hush dear, Mother's fighting' and 'I would wear them on my nipples but it would frighten the children' were delivered with a mixture of comedy and authority required for the character. I have to say it was one of the best leading female performances I have ever seen.

The film, however, was not perfect. It slightly dragged towards the end and I became restless. I, of course, became engaged again every time Hepburn entered the scene. If they had been smarter editing, this film would have been much better. I have to say watching this was a learning experience for me to be more open minded and try to appreciate things that I am not naturally drawn to.

3.5/5 - A grand performance by Katherine Hepburn

No comments:

Post a Comment