Thursday 13 October 2011

Ludwig

1972, 230 minutes, Italy

When Ludwig appeared in my account, I started asking myself why did I choose this title? I know nothing about the history, I am usually disappointed in Italian film making and it is almost four hours long. Gulp. I needed to remind myself that I felt the same when I received Lagaan. Both films turned out enjoyable.

Of course, anyone who has ever looked at my blog will know the reason why I chose this film - Ludwig II was gay, or at least bisexual. As my knowledge of 19th century history is ropey at best, I have no idea whether he did take the suggested male lovers while as well being in love with Elisabeth. 

However, the film did not really cover that, instead focusing on how his inability to lead drove him mad. His focus on beauty, whether it be Wargner's music, castles or beautiful men, caused his downfall as his unwillingness to deal with his Kingdom meant plotters dethroned him. It has always been my understanding that monarchs are meant to rule regardless of their capabilities but this is obviously optional for royalists.

It was well acted and beautifully shot but I feel it was more like an A-Level literature text - something you read to further yourself rather than to enjoy. The only really issue I had was the length. I always struggle with films over two hours, which may make me an amateur but never mind! I felt the last half could have been edited down by an hour and then it would have been a much more engaging film.

Considering Italy's status as one of the leading European nations in cinema, I have usually been let down by their releases. With the exception of I am Love and Life is Beautiful, most films have disappointed. This especially applies to Gomorrah and My Brother is an Only Child and even Death in Venice was a let down. However, I did not dislike Ludwig, but I would perhaps put it in the same category as Salo - something I would not watch for pleasure but is a learning experience for my film obsession.




3.5/5 - Edit it down by an hour and you have got yourself a classic.


No comments:

Post a Comment