Wednesday 19 October 2011

Bedrooms and Hallways

1998. 93 minutes, UK

I first watched this when I was 16 years old. I was still discovering my sexuality and used film as a media to define myself. Bedroom and Hallways was one of these films I used to watch again and again just so I felt I had some connection with gay people. It was exciting to see what it would be like 13 years later when I am actually the same age as the main characters.

The film revolves around Leo (Kevin McKidd) and how he deals turning 30. He falls for the gorgeous Brendan (James Purefoy) who has just separated from his wife. Leo is well supported by the excellent flatmates, Darren (Tom Hollander) and Angie (Julie Graham). It explores the fluidity of sexuality, romance and masculinity. Watching it back now, it is surprisingly realistic of what it is like turning 30 and being a gay man - the change from being young to being responsible.



This film is no ordinary gay indie film. It is hilarious and funny with excellent one liners, especially from Hollander. The film also features Simon Callow as the leader of a men's group and his wife Sybil (Harriet Walter) who are hysterical as the new age couple. Every comedy line is delivered so well.

Although this film never made the mainstream, it launched the career of Purefoy and McKidd who ended up in a number of Hollywood films. I am not really surprised that they did as this is a well acted and scripted piece that any actor would be proud to have in their showreel.

I am so glad this film still delivers for me. It not only brings back memories of watching it but also the massive crush I sued to have on James Purefoy. This is a must if only to learn that Margaret Thatcher's biography is the best way to desexualise any situation!
                                               
4.5/5 - Reliving memories in this hysterical gay comedy

No comments:

Post a Comment