Monday 3 October 2011

Glamour of the Gods: Hollywood Portraits

National Portrait Gallery, until 23 October


As someone who is keen on learning more about cinema, I decided to go to this glamour exhibition of over 70 photo portraits of the stars of the screen from 1920s-60s. It featured actors, from Audrey Hepburn to Elizabeth Taylor and Charlie Chaplin to James Dean.



I have to admit my knowledge of film from this period is extremely limited but this did not ruin the display at all. It was amazing the glamour of the collection and how styles changed, especially in the women. There were some striking and popular images, such as Elizabeth Taylor in Suddenly, Last Summer and it was good to see them on a canvass. I also liked the display of who they airbrushed the pictures and shows, even then they had some work done.



Overall, the only let down was my knowledge. I wish I had seen more of the films but I hope to do this in the future. A worthwhile visit for any film buff - it closes soon so hurry!

No comments:

Post a Comment