Wednesday 12 October 2011

How to be a Movie Star: Elizabeth Taylor in Hollywood

William J Mann, 2009


I have to confess that I am not a big fan of reading. Partly because I have to read a lot for my job and partly because I would prefer to sit back and watch a film. Some think this is strange considering I love foreign language films and therefore need the assistance of subtitles. However, I won this title in a competition (along with tickets to a viewing of one of her films), and thought it would be helpful to learn more about films made before 1990.



I actually enjoyed it. It went through the rise of her career through MGM, her many husbands, her battle with the press and her two Oscar wins. The book focuses on the glamour of her lifestyle and the press and public obsession with it. She was the original celebrity that mainstream film stars have become today. It was interesting how sometimes things were faked in order to create an image.

I find there are huge similarities between Elizabeth Taylor and Angelina Jolie today. Two iconic women in the film industry with faces that define an acting generation that the press cannot get enough of their lives. Both have done films in order to keep them in the press (Father of the Bride; Mr and Mrs Smith) and earn plenty in the box office.

However, they both have talent. Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf? is my favourite Taylor film and the character of Martha is one of my favourite female performances of all time . And I adore Jolie's portrayal of Lisa Rowe in Girl, Interrupted. Both can act, both are beautiful but both wants the fame and lifestyle that goes with it.

My favourite part is the chapter on Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf? I love the way she abandoned her glamour for the role and how she wanted that part more than anything. A complete opposite to the attitude she took for her other Oscar winning role of Butterfly 8. 


The only slight criticism is that the author was overly biased towards Taylor. He made out Debbie Reynolds was evil for playing the upset housewife when Eddie Fisher left her for Taylor. However, Elizabeth even used marriage as a way of promoting her films. However, I suppose an author who has extensively researched her life would be biased and just shows the dedication the author has for his subject.

This book has opened the door for an era of cinema I am not too familiar with yet and I cannot wait to explore these classics.

4.5/5 - An excellent book on glamour, love and films 

No comments:

Post a Comment