Tuesday 4 October 2011

The Warriors

1979, 89 mins, USA


The Warriors was a 1979 cult film based on the fictional gangs of New York. Cyrus, the leader of the Gramercy Riffs, announces a truce but is shot dead by the leader of the Rogues, However, the Rogues manage to frame the Warriors, who are then chased around New York until the news is announced that it was not the Warriors that killed Cyrus.

I really did not enjoy this film. I really think you had to be 15 in 1979 to properly appreciate it.I was hoping it would show the reality of gang warfare in inner cities. It does look like it would be a symbol of rebellion for teens of that time, but it really had not aged well. The over the top outfits made them look like members of Fame rather than tough New York gangs.

As someone who has lived in South London for five years, the existence of gangs is always present despite not really being visible. They do have their own clothing, but not Village People outfit rejects. There were elements of gang culture in there but it did some across as too theatrical and middle class. The acting matched this and made it some over the top farce rather than a hard core gang film.

There were some interesting parts, I particularly loved the use of the comic book graphics which added a characterture feel to the film. There were elements of gang culture that exists today, such as tagging. The role of women, or girls, was also interesting. They were there for their sexuality, sometimes using it as a weapon which is also realistic.

I suppose I am slightly too critical of this film because I was only a glint in my mother's eye when it was made. Had I grown up in the 1970s I probably would be its biggest fan. Instead I prefer the grittiness of Children of God to the campary of The Warriors.


I am not sure why I added this film to my list but I really did not enjoy it.


1/5 - Dated and OTT


3 comments:

  1. That's a fair assessment, I suppose. The Warriors is definitely campy as all hell and downright goofy at times.

    Personally, I'm a big fan of the movie. Then again, a movie doesn't have to be good for me to enjoy it. What has surprised me is that, when I introduce friends to The Warriors, I have had nothing but positive reactions to it. Of course, I've always framed it as a fun movie to drink to...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always nice to read something that completely differs from your own opinion, and when it comes to The Warriors, it is the perfect example!

    I have to agree with Brian here. Personally, I love The Warriors too. Have done since I was about 10 years old. Not only does it hold a special sort of nostalgia for me, but I genuinely think that it is a great, great film.

    When I have introduced people to The Warriors, they love it too (I don't think drinks were involved, either!)

    The thing about The Warriors, though, is that it isn't really supposed to be a documentation of gangs. The point, to me anyway, of the film is that it is a a proper, real, popular culture cult film.

    I do, however, agree with the campyness of The Warriors, but that is one of the things that makes it so awesome to watch for me. (Minus the fact it is probably one of the most quotable films ever.)

    Also, a quick note here: I was an even bigger glint in my mothers eye when it came out! I mean, my dad saw it in the cinema when it was released, and that says something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I might have slightly been over critical of it - I was ill and had watched two films already that day. But at the same time I do like my realism in films. I think it was a case of it was not a bad film just not my type of film. Perhaps I am too narrow minded?

    ReplyDelete